SmileyFace

Situation report. Original post 31/12/05 at 04:29

In ,
SmileyFace wrote:
[loud humming noise coming from the water main]

12 days on and the noise is still getting worse. The water board are
playing telephone tag with the environmental health department. It seems
the fundamental issue is they don't know what's causing it so they're hoping
it will go away.

The pitch and volume now vary quite a bit, being loudest and most variable
from midnight to 04:00. It can be quite scary when it 'revs up' a few
gears - sounds like a 2-stroke only indoors. Not restful or sleep-inducing.

It hums like a motor running, but the variable pitch is puzzling. Is there
any flow-dependent pumping equipment in use for domestic water supplies?
Could a pump in the main supply route be running its bearings and
transmitting them through our pipes? Or am I just going nuts?

Does anyone have any better understanding of domestic water distribution to
point us in the right direction? This is way beyond a joke.

TIA

Gill
ear defenders muffle everything *else*