fred

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Lobster wrote:

I've just ended up pulling down all the laths and plaster off my old
bathroom wall - plaster was blown and removing the tiles from the
plaster was a non-starter. Now the wall on the opposite side of the
stud partition, which faces on to the landing is also in a pretty bad
state, blown in a lot of places. With the back of the wall now exposed
you can see all the nibs of plaster extruded through the laths have
broken off.

So before I put the plasterboard up in the bathroom I thought I might
have a stab at some remedial work. Ideally the landing wall wants to
come down too, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon! I thought I'd
try chucking 1:4 PVA all over the back, and then essentially applying a
very rough coat of Carlite bonding plaster to the back of the laths with
a view to it holding the blown plaster. All that will be concealed as
soon as the bathroom wall goes up.

It's got to be worth a go; has anyone tried this or got any refinements
to suggest (eg which type of plaster)?

I think you are spot on actually.

I'd suggest using a smooth plaster to make it easier to spread and push
into the little gaps & crevices more easily. I've only used browning + finish
so don't know if bonding is smooth consistency or gritty. If it's gritty, then
maybe use one-coat?
--
fred