Mike Reed

Thanks Pat.

So what exactly how do you use the blocks on the layout sheet. I'm
assuming the blocks will occupy some of the voids in the final piece.
Is this for assembly purposes?

The jig I'm going to use for the dados will be a panel jig on the table
saw with a strip to hold my workpiece (several strips wide, uncut, as
you suggested). So it doesn't seem like the layout sheet will come into
play for cutting, although the spacing from the sheet will determine
the placement of the reference strip on the jig.

As far as the actual layout goes, a full-size sheet is a great idea. I
guess I can pin a tape measure at one corner, and run it up diagonally
until a number divisible by 3 (or whatever works for me) hits the
opposite side. Then I can go through and mark off every 3 inches along
the tape. Then run lines square with the bottom of the sheet from top
to bottom through these marks. This is how I layout my dovetails.

These lines would then be the centerlines for my vertical strips. Then
I decide on a strip width, make a scrap sample, and mark it around the
centerlines. Next, copy the spacing (probably with a story stick) of
the strip-edge lines, and mark up the horizontal pieces.

Then I'll know how many I'll need, how long they'll need to be, and can
add like 5 vertical and 5 horizontal for backup pieces.

Does this sound about right?

-Mike

Pat Barber wrote:
I have "made" lattice before in decking projects....

Here is what I have learned:

Buy a piece of 1/2" MDF and layout the "pattern" on that
using framing squares, etc,etc. Use entire sheet or what
ever you need to get to FULL SIZE. MDF is cheap.

snip

After you get it "layed out", bradnail small blocks as a
"reference", so you can layout the sides and bottom correctly.

snip

Try to use stop strips/blocks when you cut those dados...
This will insure at least the same distance between cuts.
This is where the "layout sheet" comes real handy.