J. Clarke

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
Don't blame
Monster for this, blame the unholy mess that is the US legal system.

The suits are bad and wrong. But they're perfectly legal, and if you
don't have a court system that will reject them out of hand, them
Monster are just acting in a way that's being positively encouraged.

It may be legal, but no one is forcing them to do anything that is
immoral. It is not the system of laws encouraging them, it is unethical
lawyers out looking to make a buck, how matter how.

Is it "unethical lawyers" or an unethical business owner abusing the legal
system? The lawyer is not forcing him to bring the suits you know.

I once discussed this with a lawyer who was in his cups at the time, and he
was really rather irate about the whole situation. Seems that because
lawyers used to be selective about their clients and deny minorities their
services, the courts ruled that a lawyer could be disbarred for turning
down a case for any reason other than that he simply was too swamped with
work to take on another one. So somebody comes along and says "I want to
sue McDonalds because I spilled my coffee" the lawyer can try to talk them
out of it but if they won't talk out of it then the lawyer pretty much has
to take the case, even if he doesn't want to.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)