Pat Barber

I have "made" lattice before in decking projects....

Here is what I have learned:

Buy a piece of 1/2" MDF and layout the "pattern" on that
using framing squares, etc,etc. Use entire sheet or what
ever you need to get to FULL SIZE. MDF is cheap.

(think construction template)

After you get it "layed out", bradnail small blocks as a
"reference", so you can layout the sides and bottom correctly.

Rather than trying to cut a million half laps, machine the
biggest stock you can get and cut the dado's on the larger
piece. After the dados, rip the bigger stock down to final
size. Using that method, it goes MUCH faster.

Try to use stop strips/blocks when you cut those dados...
This will insure at least the same distance between cuts.
This is where the "layout sheet" comes real handy.

Make extra strips(don't ask how I know this) cause you will
screw a few up.

Mike Reed wrote:
I'm going to build a piece of half-lapped lattice that will go into a
frame (not diagonally) like this:
http://smithandhawken.speedera.net/w...7/727826-1.jpg

Should I bother with having the lattice spacing at the edges be equal
to the spacing in the field? It seems that a little error will
propogate and cause the edges to be narrower or wider than the spacing
in the field, based on the final dimensions of the frame.

I'll be chopping mortises for the horizontal lattice members, and
letting the vertical members run about 1/16" short, so they don't
touch.

I guess I'm just a little overwhelmed with the thought of actually
laying this whole thing out so it's symmetrical. I guess the frame
width will determine my lattice spacing. In turn, the lattice spacing
will determine the frame height so that the edges turn out uniform.
Any advice?

-Mike