Mike Marlow

"Mike Reed" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm going to build a piece of half-lapped lattice that will go into a
frame (not diagonally) like this:

http://smithandhawken.speedera.net/w...7/727826-1.jpg

Should I bother with having the lattice spacing at the edges be equal
to the spacing in the field? It seems that a little error will
propogate and cause the edges to be narrower or wider than the spacing
in the field, based on the final dimensions of the frame.

I'll be chopping mortises for the horizontal lattice members, and
letting the vertical members run about 1/16" short, so they don't
touch.

I guess I'm just a little overwhelmed with the thought of actually
laying this whole thing out so it's symmetrical. I guess the frame
width will determine my lattice spacing. In turn, the lattice spacing
will determine the frame height so that the edges turn out uniform.
Any advice?

Don't let it overwhelm you Mike. Take it one step at a time and don't look
at the whole picture. Make each cut precisely and measure dead nut
accurately. If you do this, it will come out fine. You'll then be able to
keep the symmetry that the design really wants. Once you begin to think
that you need to allow for sloppy work, you'll get sloppy work. Be precise,
take your time, insist on accuracy and you'll end up with accuracy. If you
can make a cut, then you can make a cut the right way. So - make it the
right way.
--

-Mike-