Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Kevin

For the 1/2" round steel, if you have good dry wood and a tight fitting
ferrule, you should not have to go any deeper than 1 1/2" to 2" deep,
that's plenty deep, going 4" is a waste of steel.
The masonry nails should go in about 1" deep, that's how deep I have
them, and have used them for turning brass, alluminium and copper
freehand, no problem.
Just make sure you have the pre drilled holes undersized, and a little
epoxy doesn't hurt either

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo
..
Kevin wrote:
Hello,
I found some pretty good .5" round stock. I also have some masonary nails
which I plan on using as the actual cutters. I plan on making a few tools
to aid in my turning. My question is how deep into the handle (maple) should
I drill a hole to accept the round stock? I believe that 4" should be
plenty.

Thanks,
-Kevin