George

http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeor...ugh%20Page.htm

Read on through. You did it wrong, initially. The way you're doing it now
is correct.

"res055a5" wrote in message
So I've been playing with my new chuck...don't happen to own a dovetail
scraper, so I
used a skew chisel to cut the dovetail. Cut it at an angle all the way to
the bottom of the
hole I turned, which was the same distance as from the face of the chuck

the end of the chuck.
I noticed that the chuck dovetails for only about half that distance, but
didn't think that would matter.
It apparently did matter because my piece flew off the chuck a couple of
times. So I tried mounting it
where the dovetail ended and the straight part started and so far that

seems
to have worked. I have
reservations about whether I should make the hole bigger and turn it
dovetail for half the distance and
straight for the other half. that way the face of the chuck would make

sure
that my wood was straight.
directions for the chuck seem a little vague (I'm dumb??).
rich