Harold & Susan Vordos

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message

There is no spring on the quill of my rockwell vertical mill.
I find this so annoying because the quill has dropped a few time
which usually breaks a tip off an endmill or puts a dent in the workpiece.

The mill has a lever on the right side with a collar that is 1.75
inchs in diameter that looks like a perfect place for a flat spring.

Has anyone added a quill return spring to a rockwell vertical mill??
If so, I would really like to hear about it! Otherwise I will invent
something cause I hate trashing expensive endmills!

chuck

What, it didn't have one originally? I have a hard time believing that,
though I guess it's possible. A quill without a return spring is totally
useless. I rely on the feel of the quill for sensitive drilling, which
would be only one reason to have a return spring. With that in mind, if
you end up clooging up something, remember you still want to retain the
feel.

Good luck!

Harold