Clear Cut

In article ,
"Scott Smith" wrote:

We recently bought a house, and it still has the original garage lighting -
a single 60W bulb mounted on the wall next to the door.

I want to work in the garage, so I need to add some lighting. We live in
San Diego, and our winters don't usually get below 50 degrees, so I figured
I'd go with fluorescent lights.

The problem is that the walls and ceiling are all finished, and I dread the
idea of tearing out the sheet rock just to run wires around the ceiling
(there are rooms above the garage, so I can't just go into an attic and do
it that way).

I'm trying to figure out what my options are (and of course, after buying a
house in SD, I'm too poor to hire an pro). Anyone out there done anything
like this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Scott

You can surface mount electrical wiring. You should check with your
local building inspector to see if this is code approved in SD.

Wiremold is one brand of surface mounted electrical wiring fixtures.
Replace the light fixture with a surface mount box, and run the wire
through a raceway to where you need it.

Otherwise portable halogen task lights on extension cords work well.

--
Adding NOSPAM to the SUBJECT line of an email bypasses spam filters.