The Natural Philosopher

Tony Williams wrote:

In article ,
Stuart wrote:

Lighting,
Power Factor = 1
Load = ~650W

Power Tools
Power Factor = 0.8 ~ 0.95
Load = 520W

Electric Motors
Power Factor =0.4 ~ 0.75
Load = 220W

The next two bits is where I am getting confused. Is there some
difference between a power tool and an electic motor, after all I
can't think of a power tool that dosn't have an electric motor!

Most power tools use a series-wound universal motor, and this
type of motor can have a high power factor. But an induction
motor (such as in a fridge, or blower motor in a c/h boiler) can
have an awful power factor.

...................... So what does it all mean? Presumably
the power factor is a percentage, so power tools 80 - 95% of
650Watts. does this mean that the (80% 0f 650=) 520W is a
minimun, if it is the maximun then what does the 95% represent?

You've sussed it. Real Power, in Watts = Volt*Amps*PF.

Another Question, can these types of generators ever damage TVs,
Videos or computers? should I use a surge protector?

Possibly, but I don't think I would chance it.... too much
to lose just for a bit of rubbishy telly during a power cut.

The only bit of te telly at risk from voltage surges is teh swtched mode
PSU. Most are ramarkably tolerant.

Might be safer to use a UPS and let the generator float-charge
the battery.

SAafer, but arguable as to how necessary.

Worth putting a meter on the gennie and seeing how high the voltage
goes. Most mains side TV stuff is rated at 400v = peak voltage of 280vAC.