mike

Radio Man wrote:
Can a cassette recorder be converted for
variable speed playback?

The first one I converted about 35 years ago had a centrifugal
speed regulator. Had to mess with the weights inside the motor.
Not variable.

Next one was also a centrifugal one, but just made a power supply
with negative output resistance that matched the load curve of the
motor. Worked way better than I expected over a wide speed range for
recording voice. I needed LONG record times. Would be unsatisfactory
for music.

If you expect the pitch to stay constant with changes in speed, you need
an electronic solution.

You said "playback", not record. Depending on what you're doing, you
might have better luck with preprocessing on a computer and spitting it
back out on your PDA, if you need portability...like an audio book
application.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.