Martin H. Eastburn

Ian Stirling wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On 11 Jan 2005 00:32:02 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

they found a .50 caliber BAR on a tripod aimed out his living room
window, ready to mow down everyone on the street.

Last time I looked, the 50s were bolt action. Not likely to mow
down.

Well, if you're shooting into a thick crowd, you're going to mow a few
down with even one round, as it'll go through several people without
really slowing down.

So will just about any deer rifle bullet.

True.
But (given a deep crowd with a sniper firing horizontally) the .50 will
go through rather more people, though perhaps not inflicting as severe
injuries on the first, depending).

The only place where the .50 is really 'dangerous' would be extreme-range
sniper shots, or (economic)terrorist attacks.
For example, shoot a round into the space shuttle SRB when it next goes
up (I do not know if the exclusion area is wide enough), or high voltage
transmission line insulators, or ...

And banning it will stop the terrorists getting one.

Only at the local gun store. They will simply drive them across the boarder,
boat them in, and cargo box them in. No sweat. Oh - just buy on the black or
gray market. The bad guys have avenues open to them that citizens don't.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer