Martin H. Eastburn

Mr G H Ireland wrote:

I thought that welding transformers were built with a large leakage
inductance, so that the arc is struck with a higher voltage, which falls to
10-15volts as soon as the arc strikes.
I believe a power transformer would not behave like that - a transformer
with good regulation would burn out in seconds if it were used for welding,
unless there were some current-limiting in circuit.

Perhaps somebody who knows could enlighten me?

G.H.Ireland

I don't know about that. Welders do use wide flat 'wire' and complex
cores. I know for more years that I want to think power transformers
have been used as welding transformers. You are talking about open circuit
voltage vs. closed circuit. Regulation is the name and efficiency is it also.
Once HV OSC's were or'd into the main work lead, that need went out the door.

Pure stick likely needs it. Stick with a fancy HV OSC like TIG would be just fine.

That is my take -
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn