Nehmo Sergheyev

- Rich-out-West -
Four years ago - in a pinch - I bought a 4in angle grinder from Harbor
Freight for around $19. I subsequently used this tool to do a huge
amount of metal cutting on an old Mercedes I restored. This job
entailed hour upon hour of cutting, sanding, and wire wheel work using
that little rascal. Since then, I've used the same tool for scores of
jobs including cutting all the rebar for the foundation of a house
we're now building. Like the Energizer Bunny, this thing just keeps

on
going. It hasn't even burned through the original set of brushes, but
HF tossed in an extra set to cover that eventuality. This is one tool
no shop should be without. Be careful though, it's an easy one to get
hurt with. I heard of a guy setting one down on the bench while it

was
still spinning, only to have it whip around and slice open his gut.
Thrown debris and exploding cut-off wheels are also par for the course
- wear goggles or a mask and work gloves.

- Nehmo -
They keep running alright, but I think the metal gear housing on the
front is more fragile than that on a higher-end brand models. Once, I
got a 4 1/2" Chicago Electric one
After extensive use and several drops, after a big drop, it broke. I
immediately bought another angle grinder at the nearest store, which
wasn't HF. Then I got another and another, always 4 1/2". You really
need more than one, at least two, because the wheels are a pain to
change. Anyway, one day I disassembled the old CE, cleaned (lots of
debris inside), squirted some grease in, and then reassembled. For some
reason, it now works again, but it's still cracked. I keep it with a
brass cup-brush.

I have a toolbox with two angle grinders, B&D
http://media.doitbest.com/products/300705.gif and Ryobi
http://snipurl.com/by73 (I only moved up a little from CE) and some
accessories. One grinder has a diamond blade and the other has a stone.
I carry this toolbox *almost* everywhere I go.

The caveat I can add is that if you use an angle grinder while on a
ladder, you should be prepared for the tool to grab and perhaps disturb
your balance.

--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *