Jim B

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:47:21 -0500, "JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk"
wrote:

That's what I did. In TCP/IP=Properties, I click "DNS Configuration", I click
on "Enable DNS", I am force to type my ISP in "Host", left Domain empty and
proceed to type "DNS Server Search Order" and click "Add", "64.126.4.168".

After several bootups, DNS always show "64.126.4.168". However, the screen,
"Host Name" repeat twice, (example, ISP "world.net"), "world.net,world.net" is
that OK?

Going back to TCP/IP again, in TCP/IP screen, if I click on "IP Address", it
show "Obtain an IP Address Automatically", what if I click to "specify an "IP
Address", should I add my IP Address here?

Thank everyone, sorry again in the wrong ng.

To assign the DNS servers permanently to your card,
right click on "network neighborhood", then choose properties,
in the list of adapters and protocols that comes up choose tcp-ip for your
given NIC.
then click properties,
the ip properties will pop up, and on one of the tabs you will be able to
specify an address for DNS
sorry its kinda vague, I'm just doing this from memory.
your router should actual be getting two DNS addresses from you ISP (the
second is a backup) you may want to enter both of them in the event that
your 64.126.4.168 fails or is busy.

"Jim B" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 20:48:46 GMT, mcp6453 wrote:

Sorry, I posted in the wrong NG and I am extremely grateful that you
reply.
Yes, I wanna hard code if I can. My NIC card is build-in; VIA Rhine II
Fast
Ethernet Adapter, mobo; Gigabyte 7VT600-RZ.

In the winipcfg screen I have the following:

DNS Servers - three addresses available, Only 64.126.4.168 will work, and
the
other two is unless. I would like to hard code it as default.

Adaptor Address - cannot change, IP Address - cannot change, Subnet
Address -
cannot change, Default Gateway - cannot change, DHCP Servers - cannot
change

When I have Tim, I have since forgot how the problems resolve. A few
months back
when I replaced the mobo, I have never been able go online without
changing the
Adaptor address.

Questions:

I thought you don't need to config TCP/IP on a cable router as you would
normally do in a dialup modem, Linksys's software automatically configure
them?

Do I need to config in Control Panel =Network=VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet
Adapter and TC/IP? If I do, there is no cable modem or router to config.

Thank you very much.

Your router should be handling out DNS servers for you. If you want to
hard code them, go to your NIC card TCP/IP properties, find the DNS
entry, and hard code it in there. I'd give you the exact steps, but I
don't have a 98 machine in front of me at the moment. You will have to
reboot. Also, you should enter two DNS servers. Check with your ISP to
determine what they are.

By the way, you have something configured wrong in either your router or
your computer. DHCP is supposed to avoid this problem.