Rob Gray

Default Hand Hewn Beam Questions

My house was built in 1820 and the beams (floor joists) in the basement
below the first floor are "and hewn" beams where the two verticle sides
of the beam still show the shape of the tree and some still have bark on
them whereas the upper and lower surfaces of the beam show the marks
where the beam was cut amd leveled out by hand. I'm not real familiar
with exactly how they cut beams back then by hand and was just curious
about it. Does anyone know of a website that shows the tools and methods
used?

Also, there are a few of these beams that have been damaged over the
years by water and such and I was interested in replacing them with
beams that fit in with the rest of the construction. Is this something
that is done often, or would replacing the beam with a beam from the
lumber yard be the wisest move? The beams vary in size but most are
probably around 10" square or thereabouts.

Rob
NE PA