Matthew

Nicely built, and a sweet idea to boot. Very cool! Like you said, it ain't
for everyone, but what is?

Matthew
"Eric Anderson" wrote in message
A while ago I posted a message here that discussed a micrometer adjustment
for a Unisaw with a Unifence that I built. It uses a Starrett micrometer.
It is compact and stays out of the way until needed.

There were some people here that felt that it was an overkill in accuracy
(0.001") and was beyond the ability of the fence to hold it. Here are
pictures of the device.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/DSCF2037.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/DSCF2038.jpg

Well, the reason for my post is that I have found that it is not only
useful, it is MORE useful than the built-in one on my Excalibur fence. It
not only allows micro-adjustments, it has a readout. The readout allows
me
to move the fence by 10, 20, 40 or 100 thousandths of an inch accurately
up
to 1/2 inch. If I want a drawer to have a 0.125" clearance, I can adjust
it
to interference with the drawer opening and cut an accurate 0.080
additional
clearance into the drawer front. Then I will only have about 0.045 more
do with the handplane to get the 0.125 clearance I am looking for. It is
really nice to be able to put a set amount of adjustment into positioning
the fence. And yes, the fence keeps the accuracy very well.

If anyone is interested in this concept, it looks like the micrometer part
will run about $50 to $60 and the added effort for the rest of the device
is
minimal in materials but about an hours work to fab. If anyone is
interested to the tune of about $130, let me know. I am considering that
might be interested in making a few.