MLD

"Hound Dog" wrote in message

"Native" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello: Have a slow leak inbetween my house shut-off and street shut-off
main. Hence, need to turn off main at the street. However, I can't
figure out how to shut the street main off.

I have a street key, but still can't find where it goes in to turn off
the valve. The meter box was filled with water and mud and even after
removing most of that I still could not figure out where to insert the
key.

Is the shut-off in the same box with the meter? Does anyone have a pic
of what a clean/new install of one of these would look like so I can
figure out where the key goes?

Also, this made me think. If It took me 10 mins just to get all the mud
and water out of the meter box to see the meter, how is the city
reading my meter to know how much to bill me?

Your best bet is to call the city and have them turn your water off at the
street.

I have used several plumbers over the years and they all have called and
arranged for the city to turn the water off at the street if time

permitted.

They are concerned of something happening and they will be held liable.

My shut-off valve at the house is corroded open and I intend to have it
replaced this spring. The plumber I will be using has asked me to notify
him several days in advance so he can contact the city to turn off the

water
supply at the street.

My plumber said call the city because bad things can happen
sometimes--Guess what--The city came and in turning the valve with the key
the underground extention rod sheared off. Necessitated digging up the
street, replacing the extention rod and then rehot topping.
MLD