David Hearn

John wrote:
"David Hearn" wrote in message
I have to cover about 2-3m of cabling going into a wall mounted rack.
There are about 18 cat5e cables. I'm looking at just some basic
trunking, and from what I can see, mini trunking, is the most
common. However, I cannot work out the correct dimensions. I often
see them described as: 10mm x 8mm x 3m, 18mm x 9mm x 3m, 16mm x 16mm
x 3m, 25mm x 16mm x 3m, 40mm x 16mm x 3m, 40mm x 25mm x 3m. Maxi
trunking is larger, but less common. Which is the width and which is the
depth? I've seen some trunking
(slotted edge, which can bend) which is very deep but very thin -
that's not what I'm after. I'd like a nice wide bit of trunking. If
necessary, I'd use 2 bits next to each other if I can't fit all
cables in it.

Width is first i.e. 25 by 16 = 25mm wide by 16mm deep

Thanks for that - such a simple question but I just couldn't find the answer
anywhere.

Any idea of the size trunking I would need to put in about 18
cables? Any where online that would do these sizes, and can
delivery next day (I need to do it on Satuday). So far B&Q don't
have maxi trunking, Screwfix don't either, BES have the sizes above
(mini) but no maxi, TLC-Direct do maxi, but don't appear to have any
of the corners (I need one or two corners). Anywhere else to try?

18 Cat 5E cables have a cross sectional area of approx 400mm. There
are rules about space between cables but I cannot remember them and
if it is a 'home project' I doubt it'll matter. The smallest
(reasonable sized) tunking I know of for this would be 38 x 16.

I should be able to get 40x25 or even 40x40 from TLC-Direct who have an
outlet within a mile or so of me. I just wasn't sure whether I would need
something wider than that.

I may go with self-adhesive trunking, which BES do up to 40x25.

How would you fix it to the wall if I didn't go with self adhesive? Its
going to be done in a newly built church building in a cupboard room with
photocopier etc. I'd rather use something that isn't likely to cause damage
apart from where it is attached and is also easy (this is an additional task
in an increasing list of things to get done in that room on Saturday - many
more than my original brief...

Thanks

David