Leon

"hikinandbikin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Been lurking for a while, first post.
Anyone have experience with using 5.2mm plywood in frame and panel
furniture. I really like to cut my slots with the router, but have
found that 5.2mm is a lot smaller than my 1/4" straight bit. MLCS sells
5.2mm bits (They also sell 5.2mm slot cutters). So here is the
question.
1. If you use a 5.2mm bit or slot cutter will that create a slot that
is too small for the ~5.2mm plywood +glue +plywood thickness variation?
the 5.2 I have been using is bookmatched birch and seems pretty
consistent.
2. What would be better a router bit or a slot cutter. Seems like a
slot cutter gives you more wood on the table but also seems like the
more treacherous to use.

IMHO the router is too slow for cutting groves in wood to accept a plywood
panel. Use you TS and make 2 passes. Turn the board around for the second
pass and your slot will be perfectly centered.