Ron

You probably wouldn't need a permit for most home repairs, but home
modifications might need permits. Some reasons for permits: 1. to make sure
the contractor has done the work properly. 2. Make sure the modifications
are safe. 3. Insurance companies are not in business to hand out money. If
they discover you've modified your home without permits, and/or not up to
code, you might be denied your claim. Remember, your house plans might be on
file with your building agency and the insurance co. has access to them.

Electrical circuitry in a home is not complicated, but the codes are not
intuitive, they can be tricky, and your masters degree won't help you that
much. That's the reason for getting permits---to make sure the job is done
to code.

Check with your inspector to find out what you need permits for and for what
work has been done in the past. They would probably want the work done to
code. The building agencies that I've dealt with have been reasonable in
that respect.
Ron

"Oh_Jeeze" wrote in message
oups.com...
Before someone
scolds me keep this in mind, I am a first time homeowner and I have
only been living in my home for a few months. What types of things
require permits or inspectors? I recently painted some walls, replaced
a toilet, and added a light fixture outside my garage. I have other
things on my agenda for the next few years and I can't see why I would
pay someone to inspect my work. With regards to plumbing, if you don't
do it right you get immediate notification in the form of a leak. The
electrical stuff seems pretty trivial to me since I am an electrical
engineer with a masters degree. Although I must admit to having to
look up the correct wire gauge for the spotlight I added outside my
garage. A follow up question would be what if the previous owner did
something without getting a permit or getting the work inspected?
Would I be responsible for paying for those things?