Greg O

"Oh_Jeeze" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's a silly question... so why would you pay for a permit and/or
inspector to inspect work you do inside your home?

Most areas do not need permits to paint, change a light fixture, replace a
toilet, that type of thing.
Any changes or additions to wiring, or plumbing probably need a permit. Any
stuctural work to the home will most likely need a permit. New windows,
roof, furnace in our area need a permit.

It is kind of a mixed blessing. If you do a upgrade to your house that needs
a permit, and you do, the liability falls to the inspections office when
they sigh off and ok the work. If you don't get and inspection, and your
house burns down from a poor wiring job, or bad furnace install, good luck
collecting insurance! The liability just fell on you!
Many fear that it tips of the city to raise your taxes, it may. I also know
of many homes that have had major remodels, additions put on, and the city
tax dept never paid any attention!
Pull a permit, CYA!
Greg