Tony Hwang

zxcvbob wrote:
Oh_Jeeze wrote:

Here's a silly question... so why would you pay for a permit and/or
inspector to inspect work you do inside your home?

To notify the tax assessor that your property tax needs to go up. ;-)

Before someone scolds me keep this in mind, I am a first time
homeowner and I have only been living in my home for a few months.
What types of things require permits or inspectors?

I get a permit for major electrical work. I haven't done any major
structural or plumbing work yet.

I recently painted some walls, replaced a toilet, and added a light
fixture outside my garage. I have other things on my agenda for the
next few years and I can't see why I would pay someone to inspect my
work. With regards to plumbing, if you don't do it right you get
immediate notification in the form of a leak.

That's true for the supply lines. Faulty drains are much more
dangerous, and they don't necessarily show that they are done wrong.

The electrical stuff seems pretty trivial to me since I am an
electrical engineer with a masters degree. Although I must admit to
having to look up the correct wire gauge for the spotlight I added
outside my garage. A follow up question would be what if the
previous owner did something without getting a permit or getting the
work inspected? Would I be responsible for paying for those things?

You would assume that he did everything legally. (but if something is
obviously unsafe, you should consider redoing it right)

Best regards,
Bob

Hi,
Insurance coverage? If you did something without permit/inspection and
something happens(like fire), you won't be covered.
Tony