Oh_Jeeze

Default Do you really need to a permit and inspector to do work around the house?

Here's a silly question... so why would you pay for a permit and/or
inspector to inspect work you do inside your home? Before someone
scolds me keep this in mind, I am a first time homeowner and I have
only been living in my home for a few months. What types of things
require permits or inspectors? I recently painted some walls, replaced
a toilet, and added a light fixture outside my garage. I have other
things on my agenda for the next few years and I can't see why I would
pay someone to inspect my work. With regards to plumbing, if you don't
do it right you get immediate notification in the form of a leak. The
electrical stuff seems pretty trivial to me since I am an electrical
engineer with a masters degree. Although I must admit to having to
look up the correct wire gauge for the spotlight I added outside my
garage. A follow up question would be what if the previous owner did
something without getting a permit or getting the work inspected?
Would I be responsible for paying for those things?