Colbyt

"Hamilton Audio" wrote in message
news:JKmEd.39919$Xk.29554@pd7tw3no...
i've got a large but skinny exterior window just to the right of my front
entrance door. The bottom sill sticks out more than the rest (design
element) and of course holds water when it rains....

so - the bottom left corner of frame (where the left panel meets the

bottom
sill) has gotten soft. I've read about 2 part products that contain a

wood
petrifier to solidify the wood (when the majority of the crappy rotted

wood
has been removed) and then an epoxy based putty that you use to "replace"
the wood with.

has anybody had experience with this type of product? any opinions? i'm
looking to do some springtime repairs and would like this to be one of

them.

Not sure what you have read.

I have used the "West Systems" 2 part epoxy product with great success.
Once you dig out the really rotten stuff it will petrify the remainder. You
really have to see this to believe it. I was so impressed I even treated
another window sill on the same side of the house that was just a little
spongy.

For the one that had the really rotten section I filled the void with bondo
( a fiberglass product used in automotive repairs). This was easy to shape
and sand to conform to the existing wood profile. Once sanded and primed you
could not tell where the repaired area was. In this case I replaced about
20% of the exterior portion of an old wooden window sill.

I used this process based on information provided by people who should know
what they were doing. It has only been 18 months since I did it so I have
no long term results to report. At this point it still looks great.

Colbyt