George E. Cawthon

F.H. wrote:
Krystonia5 wrote:

Do you need a vice to perform this sharpending? I assume you do, but
my small
garage is not currently equiped with one, this may be a reason to get
one!

I'm an old retired machinist so I may have a *slight* edge but I figured
out how to use the file and did it without a bench in about 20 minutes.
Mark a starting point and go one direction, repeat in opposite direction.

Slight edge? How about a big edge or just capability.
Depends on the person whether or not one can ever do it
without a vise. I never could find a way to hold the saw
and file a straight line in over 20 years of getting
firewood. Out of desperation finally bought one of those
temporary blade holders that you pound in a stump for those
times that I found a piece of granite in a log and needed to
sharpen in the field.