George E. Cawthon

Krystonia5 wrote:
has anybody tried the self-sharpening kits for chain saw chains? It looks
like some kind of bracket to hold the blade, and a hand file to sharpen it.
I bought a cheap McCulloh chain saw and the chain got dull after only a couple
hours of use, and i bought a new chain, but this one got duller even faster.
perhaps it's an oil flow problem...dunno.

So i don't know if it should take both chains to a sharpening shop, or if i
should go buy an expensive high quality chain (which brand?), or if I should
buy the hand sharpening kit?

Thx,,,paul

First, becoming completely dull in two hours is a little
radical and has nothing to do with oil. Sawing in dirt?
One piece of quartz between a log and the bark will ruin
your day in about 15 seconds.

Self sharpening kit? You just mean a hand sharpening kit.
Consists of a round file and a flat plate that shows the
angle to use.

You put the blade in a vice with the chain free to move and
take a couple of strokes on each tooth. Do one side and
then do the other side. Should have instructions with the
kit. Hints: go slow and run the file from the inside to
the outside sharp edge. Clamp the blade about 4" from the
end and file teeth directly above the clamp, file one tooth
, move the chain, file next tooth (skip the toot that files
the opposite way) until you have move the chain one complete
revolution, then shift position and file the other teeth.
Confused? read the instructions with the sharpening kit.

My technique which may not be the best is to take two full
strokes with moderate pressure and one stroke with light
pressure on each tooth. Be sure to keep the file at the
same angle through the stroke, each stroke (see line on top
of the flat file holder,) and for every tooth.

You should be able to cut a cord of soft wood into 18 inch
lengths with one sharpening. Hardwood less, totally dry
wood even less, with dirt way less, hit a rock and nothing more.

You can buy fancy electric sharpeners, but I suggest you by
the file, flat holder, handle kit first and try it. The
first time may take 15-20 minutes, the next times less. You
will always be ahead stopping to sharpen a dull chain than
continuing.