Andy Hall

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:10:28 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:27:22 +0000, Andy Hall
strung together this:

It seems that the starting point to buy a complete set of testers
(unless I've missed something) is around £650 net, a bit more for a
multifunction single tester.

Something like that. It's not cheap.

One would need to do quite a bit of testing on a DIY basis to justify
this cost. I guess that on Ebay or something they would be a little
less.

Yep, eBay would be the best place for a DIY set of testers. If you're
using them for checks only, as opposed to actual testing for the
filling out of certificates, then self calibration works well, if you
know how.

That was mainly what I was thinking about. Do you happen to know a
suitable Ebay section reference?

I invested in a combustion analyser (cost about £200 offer from BES
about a year ago), which enables me to check and service my boiler.
The payback on that will be in two years, so worth doing.

I wonder what would happen if one were to run the complete electrical
tests on an installation and send a signed certificate to the BCO as
part of a building notice........

If you were going to do that you may as well just fill in a cert. with
some random results. If you know what you're doing you can generally
tell what the results should roughly be.

I was thinking more in terms of what their reaction would be. I
suppose to ignore it.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl