Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations....

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 12:04:53 -0500, Brian wrote:

I hope monster cable wins . they are only doing what any business does to
protect it very valuable name.Others that use similar names should expect to
looked also. Copy right laws exist for a purpose. but do not worry about
this small company (he's fine), he has done it for the free publicity for
his business.

Hum...I think he is doing it for exactly the reason he
states...to try and avoid getting smashed by a big, non-related
company, with too many lawyers.

I think you're out of your mind. How does "Monsters Inc." or "Monster
Garage" in any way confuse you as to their relation (or lack thereof,
which is the reality of the situation) to Monster Cable?

Not the point for Monster Cable.

"Monster" is a general-purpose word in the English language that far
predates Monster Cable; so I guess in your eyes Apple Computer has a
right to trademark the word "apple" and then sue or extort the pants
off of every apple farmer or supplier in the land?

As a matter of fact, Apple computer DID get sued...by Apple
Records (the Beatle's recording company) quite some years ago, for
exactly this sort of trademark violation. As part of the settlement,
Apply Computer had to agree to NOT go into the music publishing
industry. Of course, recent events have caused some upset at
Apple Records and some renegotiation.
However, this sort of thing has happened before and
will happen again.

And what makes you think that any of these people were even thinking
about Monster Cable when they named their businesses? What evidence
supports that claim?

Again...does not matter. The fact of the matter is that
the way the laws are interpreted these days, a given company can
acquire exclusive ownership for the use of a word. This is far
too broad a net, and, I think should be addressed by the courts.
However, this is another case of the golden rule...i.e. the man
with the gold makes the rules.
It is akin to the intellectual property suit that SCO
has been chasing for years over Linux. The fact of the matter
is that they have not proven they have a leg to stand on. yet...
the lawyers continue to make millions, and, the stockholders
make big bucks off selling the SCO stock (artificially pumped
by the heavily spun news of the progress of the suit).

Regards
Dave Mundt