Slowhand

wrote in message
ups.com...
On my DJ-20, the blades were about .005 above the outfeed table. I'm
tuning up all my tools so decided to do something about it. I got the
jointer pal magnetic tool and to my surprise using that it ended up
worse, at .007-.010 and uneven. I think its because of tightening the
nuts inevitably moves the blade some.

So I decided to do it manually, and painstakingly set the blades
purposefully a little low (this takes forever since a minute turn on
the adjustment screw will throw it off). Then after tightening the
blade the final alignment was about .004 above the outfeed table.

Is this close enough? I spent about a day on it and have bandaids on
all my fingers :-) so my thought is this is good enough. I could try
to move the outfeed table up .004 but my fear is that its likely to end
up worse and I'll just keep fighting to get those last thousandths.

Will having the blade .004 above the outfeed table have a measurable
affect?

I'm jointing some long 10' boards and before this did have a problem
with both ends of the board being narrower than the middle. I'm
checking both the jointer and tablesaw to try to get rid of this.
Thanks for this and the other great advice I've gotten on here.

Dayem, here is my tolerance:

I use a piece of 6" x 3/4 x 3/4 scrap. I mark two lines on the scrap a 1/4"
apart. I set the knives so they move my piece of 1/4" on both ends of the
knives. And yes, make sure when you tighten, that the knives are still set
where you thought they were. Sometimes they move. When all the knives are
moving the scrap 1/4", life is complete.

Been succesfully jointing for years using this method. As they say, it aint
rocket science.
SH