carl mciver

"Ignoramus13229" wrote in message
| On 2005-01-10, Tom Gardner wrote:
| Bamboo bonded with tree sap! (How about a 1/2" rubber hose?)
|
| People on alt.home.repair suggested using 1/2" copper pipe.
|
| Is there a system of fittings, outlet boxes etc, comparable to what we
| have in the electrical world?

Black pipe is safely self supporting in that it can hold up the hoses
and fittings and all that, but copper will work harden from the handling of
having fittings on the end, so everything needs to be anchored down. Visit
your local builder's box store and you'll see a dizzying variety of fittings
for 1/2" copper pipe, which with the proper imagination one can just about
plan the whole thing from the store.
I just stapled an air hose in my garage from the compressor to the
workbench, up and over the garage door. I found almost as soon as I plumbed
it that it was too close to the vise, so it's a good thing I didn't do it in
copper. I have to figure out how to reroute it to fit the current
configuration and the configuration I hope to do sometime before I get too
old to care.

| Maybe I will use regular plumbing 1/2" lines and plumbing ball valves
| etc, along with compressor fittings at the very end?

If you do the bulk of the piping in copper and convert it to hard pipe
at the ends you'll get the safest system, in my book. The advantage of
copper runs is the price, and the advantage of the hard pipes are their
durability and being able to take a beating.