Gerald Miller

On 10 Jan 2005 11:38:26 -0800, wrote:

Well, some respondents lost track of the title, "...without a
forklift."

I have the following questions:
1) What is the shop floor?
2) How often does the machine need to be moved?
3) How accurately does it have to be positioned?
4) Is it to be moved along a single straight line, or along a
complicated path?

I had to move a 700# treadle hammer across a strong but somewhat
irregular cement floor. I did it by putting 1/4" rods under the
"front" edge and rolling the thing. This worked exceedlingly well, but
bould not be the method of choice in many cases.

This could be made a more controllable means of moving a machine if a
Johnson bar were used to lift one edge and steer.

A 100# woman might need a come-along, or some such thing, to provide
the pull to move the thing.
Be careful. Some machines may be top-heavy and could fall over.

Bruce

Several years ago, I got tired of seeing a 1500 pound concrete planter
(these were placed along the walkway in front of the store to
discourage late night, drive in business) sitting on a skid in front
of the computer store where Junior worked. One night I jokingly
threatened to take it off the skid and set it in place. Next day, the
store owner approached me to inquire if I was serious. Sunday was
cleaning day, and the store owner cleaned the same window many times
while I carried out my threat using nothing more than a selection of
wood blocking and a carpenters wrecking bar (one handed), when I was
finished he asked how much he owed me and I informed him that all I
wanted was the skid, which I still use as an outdoor workbench
supported on a pair of sawhorses.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada