Christian McArdle wrote:
When doing so I noticed an electrical wire attached to the lead

pipe,
and assume this has something to do with the earth for the

electrics
meter cupboard.

If you have copper pipework in the house, move the earth connection

to the
where this takes over from the MDPE. Note that this isn't (at least
shouldn't!) be your main earth. It is just ensuring that the pipework

has
the same earth potential as the rest of your house. The main earth is

either
supplied by the electricity suppler via the cable sheath (TN-S) or

via the
neutral (TN-C-S), or you will have an earth rod (TT) and every

circuit will
be RCD protected.

If you have a older house, it is possible that you have an old system

that
did rely on the water pipe to provide earthing and that now your

house is
very dangerous. As you don't seem to know enough about electrical
installations to determine the type of earthing in use, I'd advise

you post
a picture of your meter cupboard and consumer unit so you could get

further
advice, as it should be obvious what type of earthing you have from

the
supplier's installation. If this determines a TT system, you'll need

to find
out if you have a good earth rod. Alternatively, just call out an
electrician who will test that the earthing is safe.

Do I need to provide anothe connection to earth. Should I extend

the
(now severed) wire back to the water board's supply, which is still

in
lead?

Unfortunately, it is a requirement that the cable is unbroken and

unjointed.
If it not long enough to reach the copper part of your house

plumbing, you
are up sh*t creek and will need to lay a fresh cable from the

earthing
terminal, which might be not a nice job.

Christian.

I recently did a similar task - replacing the incoming lead pipe with
plastic, though being an elderly property there was no grounding wire.
Now the earth for the house is at the back of the property and
water-pipe-in is at the front and as far from the earth pin as it could
be. Am I really required to bond the piping at the house entry point
which will be seriously difficult to get to, a considerable length and
is totally at one extreme of the piping system, or can I take the
bonding wire to say the cold water tank which is central, is a
relatively short run and is easy access.

Rob