Mike Dodd

When you need to pass a noggin in a stud wall, don't remove the
plasterboard
completely from the front. All you need is a small slot that you can cut
with a
modelling knife, but only on three sides of the square, or oblong, that
passes
the noggin. You leave one edge intact so you can fold it back into place
over
the cable and hide it.

Ok, that took about 2 minutes to sink in - yes, good idea!, the plasterboard
has a paper face front and back, doesn't it - and that forms the flap?,
okay, sounds like a plan. Cutting with a modelling knife?, hmmm, time to
search out the old scalpel, I'm surprised that it cuts, but I'll trust your
experience on this (hey, it makes the job even easier). I suppose if you
leave the top edge intact then the weight of the "patch" and the top-hinge
holds itself in place and so little adhesive would be needed.

Now, to decide whether to bundle the cables through holes top and bottom, or
to cunningly fashion two face plates, together with all required connectors
(hmmm, mains might be a bugger)

Many thanks for the ideas!