Mike Dodd

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mike Dodd wrote:

Bugger. I have now searched for the infamous "noggin", and found the
advice alluded to above. My problem is that drilling a hole through the
noggin might be rather more tortuous than you might expect - have you
ever seen a component video cable with three moulded phono plugs attached
Time to find a 2mm drill bit and go noggin hunting I think.

A Zircon triscanner pro will find the noggin for you (RS components),
other "stud finders" are frequently as much use as an ashtray on a
motorbike.

Use the spade bit to drill a serise of overlapping holes into the wall in
a vertical line where the noggin is. Drill a half inch further into the
wall that the depth of the plasterboard and you will have a channel ready
to take your cable.

Cheers, a 8mm nut on the end of a piece of cotton, dropped down the cavity
through a 10mm hole also found the noggin. Old technology, I know, but it
did the trick.

I'm tempted to route out a rectangle of plasterboard just larger than the
cable slot that I need , then remove the slot from the noggin using the
spade bit and tidying up with a chisel, routing the cable, then replacing
the plasterboard with suitable backing / screws, skimming and making good.
Gonna wait for SWMBO to depart for distant shores, next week, before giving
this a try as it's bound to attract "the look".