Jim Alexander

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:36:03 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:12:26 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

..

Since the issue is one of compulsion through legislation, there are
more issues to consider than the cost of your gas bill.

I suppose that a max power level could have been set below which
fitting of condensing boilers was not mandatory (notwithstanding the
other exemptions), but it's then adding another level of complexity to
the whole thing. Since condensing combis, for right or wrong have a
significant market share and in general have a minimum power level of
20-25kW to do anything remotely useful, it would be difficult to
structure and operate rules to specifically exempt just small heating
boilers.

Not really, normally building regs only apply to new work or to
modifications. This is an example of a like for like replacement being
virtually prohibited at the component level regardless of system
implications. IMHO that's going too far. Actually I understand that
compulsory condensing is not going to apply in Scotland so my fear of not
being able to obtain a conventional system boiler may not apply.

Jim A