Chuck

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:47:38 GMT, "Ken Moon"
wrote:

them...1. they seem to crack a lot.

My guess is heat checking. Don't sand so aggressively.

2. they chip when being turned.

Sharper tools and a less aggresive cut. You should approach them more
like Corian than wood. Being a hard substance, they will chip of you
try to cut them too aggressively.

they sand just fine. we tried normal

Could
chatter while the band is being turned cause the chipping and cracking
both?

You could try chatterwork, but I would use a light touch on a piece
that thin. Better just to leave it be, smooth.

Try soakinking the nuts overnight in water. That will soften them some and
help with the chipping. Can't help with the cracking, since I haven't had
that problem.

All of the places I've ever bought these from say explicitly that you
should definitely not soak them. They are made of a starch/sugar,
rather like a cross between a really hard potato and an acorn.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget