Don Foreman

On 10 Jan 2005 14:15:50 GMT, Ignoramus13229
wrote:

Now that I have a nice 60A subpanel in the garage, I can finally
afford to plug in whatever I want without tripping my breakers.

The subpanel has the following receptacles:

1) 50A 220V range receptacle
2) 20A 220V receptacle
2) Two 20A 110V receptacles

The eequipment that I am thinking about is a 2.2HP Harbor Freight
pancake compressor.

What kind of tools will you be running? Pancake compressors are OK
for air nailers, etc but lack the capacity for most rotary air tools.

If you have room, adding an air tank (reservoir) in the shop might be
a good idea. That will give you some "reserve" so you can run an air
tool for a short time at least, then let the compressor catch up.
Locating it in the shop eliminates the pressure drop in the line
between shop and garage at high flow rates.

I'd locate the filter/regulator at point of use rather than at the
compressor.

Use silver-soldered connections or flare fittings -- not compression
fittings.

Put a ball valve upstream of each quick-disconnect fitting. Those
fittings all leak a little after a while, but good ball valves are
surprisingly leak-free.