Grunff

Lobster wrote:
I'm in the midst of removing all the luvverly tiles which somebody
lovingly stuck all over every single vertical surface (and many
horizontal ones too) of our bathroom back in the 70's. Yes, you can
imagine. Anyway, the plan is to get a plasterer in to skim everything
flat and smooth once I'm done.

All down one wall, however, I have discovered another layer of tiles
underneath the 1970s set. Not so unusual in itself, except that this
comprises a band of tiles about 4 or 5 deep, at about waist height, all
set into the adjacent plaster, ie the surface of the old tiles is flush
with the plaster. The old tiles and the adjacent plaster are clearly
both very old (spot the horsehairs) and presumably date back to the
original build (1912).

Question - before I get stuck into into the next layer of tiles, which
will mean more work for me and the plasterer, can anyone tell me if it's
possible/reasonable to key or treat the surface of the tiles with
something appropriate to enable them to be skimmed over? They are
glazed white ceramic, and very sound. My gut feeling is 'no' but does
anyone know better?!

If you paint the tiles with melamine primer, then PVA, you might just
get the plaster to stick sufficiently - but I really wouldn't do this.
Just chisel them off.

--
Grunff