T i m

Default Tool wanted to cut metal slot

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:55:46 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Jan has brought this to us :
I have a slot (cut in the case of a fully assembled computer) about 90mm x
10mm. I need to extend the slot to about 94mm x 10mm.

You need a tool called a 'Nibbler'. These take clean bytes out of thin
metal of about 2mm x 5mm each time you squeese the handles. Tandy used
to do them and I suspect Maplin electronics will stock them. They look
roughly similar to a pair of pliers, have a sort of anvil and moving
post with a hooked end which takes bytes.

That was about what I was going to suggest Harry. I have a pair (black
body with silver handle) and have used them for exactly what the OP'r
intends.

I think I bought mine from a Model Engineer Exhibition a few years
back .. one of those 'they look handy' things ;-)

Also have the version that goes on an electric drill.

To stop the bits getting caught up in the PC's PCB (If I can't be
arsed to strip the box) I make up a sort of 'dam' using masking tape
and do the job with the bit I'm cutting at the bottom (spanned across
a gap between two wooden stools etc)

All the best ..

T i m