mac davis

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:11:31 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

Black walnut is the native J nigra. Almost any walnut reproducing in the
wild in the US should be J nigra.

It is rich in extractives in the heartwood, including some nasty stuff that
can cause horses hoof problems. Also has a nut which has less overall meat,
and a harder, packed shell than the "English" J regia. English walnut
scions are normally grafted onto the more hardy black walnut roots in
orchards.

So, if you got orchard wood, might be different than the wild stuff.

http://www.ca-walnutdesigns.com/select.htm

this was from a few trees that had died at a friend's ranch.. I think
that if they were the orchard variety, it wasn't intentional..
It sounds like this was black walnut, then, and that I should have
been careful with it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing