Barry N. Turner

I really don't know what brand or how old. I expect it is a fairly new saw.
I'm sure it has a chain brake. Chainsaws are made to cut wood, but they are
not especially discriminating on that point. I don't even know if my friend
was using the chainsaw in a dangerous manner..............except for the
fact that he was using it without any protective equipment at all.

We were talking about the accident at church yesterday. One of the guys
told about an accident his grandfather had with a chainsaw. He, too, got a
kickback. The chainsaw made contact with his face.........ripping through
one side of his face, barely missing his right eye and nose!

Barry

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
This is good reminder about using a chainsaw. I can sure use it.
I'll have to check my new gas chainsaw. I think when I release the

pressure
on the gas trigger or hit the guard the chain brake comes on. I'm curious
to know the brand name of your friend's chainsaw and how old is it.
Conversely a sudden kickback is hard to control. My electric chainsaw does
not have a positive stop mechanism. However when I stop pressing the

switch
a clutch comes on. It will be a good time to review the safety

procedures.
"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
A friend of mine barely escaped a very serious injury yesterday while

using
a chainsaw. He's not a woodturner or a logger, just an average guy (a
pharmacist) clearing some ice storm damaged tree limbs on his farm. He

got
a kickback and severed a minor artery in his lower leg. He was alone at

the
time, but was able to get to his house, get the bleeding under control

and
call 911. (I'm sure in what order.)

The doctor said he just missed a major artery in his leg. If he hadn't,

the
outcome could have been much more serious, if for instance he had passed

out
before getting the bleeding under control or severed a major artery in

his
leg.

There may be a good, slightly used chainsaw for sale on Ebay real soon.
Watch for it.

Let's be extra careful using chainsaws. Look into shin guards or chaps,
learn how to use your saw properly and observe all safety rules.

Barry