Ken Moon

"res055a5" wrote in message
news:ya5Ed.3647$ig7.2729@trnddc04...
i've been making pens for a little while now and have been asked questions
about using tagua nuts (natural fake ivory)
for making bands around the middle. one fellow was having two problems
with
them...1. they seem to crack a lot. and
2. they chip when being turned. they sand just fine. we tried normal
super
glue, but that didn't help the crack problem.
we put the band on the brass tube with 5 minute epoxy...could it be
heating
up too much and causing the cracking? Could
chatter while the band is being turned cause the chipping and cracking
both?
Any ideas?
rich

Rich,
Try soakinking the nuts overnight in water. That will soften them some and
help with the chipping. Can't help with the cracking, since I haven't had
that problem.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX