Jim Levie

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:36:58 -0500, aribert wrote:

I have an old '50s vintage Craftsman horizontal 4 x 6 cut off saw -
predates the H/V stuff from today but the same general configuration. I
bought it in very used but functional condition about 15 years ago. A
couple of years ago the blade would not keep from coming off of the
wheels. Specifically the blade walks off of the non-driven wheel within 2
to 3 rotations of the wheel. I put the machine aside as I did not have
time to mess with it. Now I am trying to get it working again - not that
I have any more time to mess with it now but I am getting quite annoyed at
something that occupies space but is non functional.

So far I have: made a new bushing for the non driven wheel to keep it
from wobbling - no effect other than the wheel rotates smoothly with out
wobbling.

What condition are the bearings of the driven wheel? Might the
wheels be out-of-plane?

The blade will walk off the wheel if either is canted or if both wheels
aren't running in the same plane. If you lay a straight edge across the
wheels the problem should be evident.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.