John A. Weeks III

In article ,
Australopithecus scobis wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:41:14 -0600, John A. Weeks III wrote:

your body gets low on oxygen, and it starts using carbon dioxide
in its place, leading to you going to sleep and never waking up

(He meant carbon monoxide. Hemoglobin just loves CO, something like 200
times better than O2. Carbon dioxide excess will mess you up too, just not
as bad or as fast as CO.)

No, I meant CO2. A catalytic heater uses gas to create heat
without burning. The waste products are water and CO2. If
you are burning the gas, then you get CO. The catalytic
heaters are advertised as "safe" since there is no flame,
but they use Oyxgen. This reduces the oxygen level in the
air, which allows your body to start using CO2 in place of
the O2, which can cause brain damage or kill you. The big
issue is getting enough fresh air when you use one of these
things, or having an oxygen depletion sensor. I'd never
suggest using an open flame heater in an enclosed location,
so those are not even a question of being used.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com