Michael Mcneil

"Ian White" wrote in message

I'm about to take over about a third of an acre of what's meant to be
wooded paddock, but is largely overrun at ground level by brambles. The
previous owner has managed to return some of it to grass, but has really
only, er, scratched the surface of the problem.
How can I finish the job, as permanently as possible?

What is the paddock for?

With brambles near a wall or fence you just pull them out when they are
full of fruit. That way you don't get bunching with live and dead stems
making harvesting difficult. And you're left with tender new growth that
can be trained up the wall or along the fence.

Actually in the field mowing will eradicate them as it will with
nettles, thistles and docks -eventually.