Harry Bloomfield

Default Portable Electrity Generators

Chris Hogg laid this down on his screen :
We have a TT system with a 100A/100mA time delayed RCD at the 'front
end', and a split-load CU with MCB's and a 30mA RCD on one half. Is it
acceptable simply to run a cable from the generator to any socket in
the house on one of the ring mains for example, to in effect power the
whole house? Presumably the front-end RCD would need to be switched
off before connecting the generator, both to avoid powering the
neighbourhood (!) and to avoid nasty things happening when the mains
power comes back on. Or do I have to power items individually and
directly, independent of the house wiring, using a network of
extension leads?

I hope the idea of back feeding your system via a socket was just a
passing thought?

It would be highly dangerous to both you and anyone who happened to be
working to repair your failed supply. I caught doing this you would
certainly end up with a term in prison and perhaps even a man slaughter
charge. PLEASE DO NOT CONSIDER IT FURTHER!

Using extensions and plugging table lights, TV's and freezers into
those is acceptable.

If you want to keep a computer going, consider a UPS. A UPS would work
fine on a generator.

If you really must power your existing wiring from both mains and a
generator, then there are specially made isolator/switch systems made
for the purpose.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org