LRod

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:57:29 -0700, s wrote:

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:29:41 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

6 1/2 feet per second? Man, I can't feed wood that fast on my table saw. I
need a better table saw.

that's not the speed of the wood- it's the speed of your hand when it
slips off of the wood and you lean in to catch yourself.

A superb visual example of that is watching the video clip used in
Norm's safety speech on NYW the last several years. As he's feeding a
piece through the router table (quite nicely held down with feather
boards, by the way) his forward hand slips. I cringe every time I see
it, even though there's no danger, as I've had my hand slip on a piece
of work before, too, and I can well imagine that happening around a
cutting implement.

By the way, I was taught long ago never to have one's hands over the
rotating cutter head on a jointer when feeding stock through it for
that very reason (the stock shooting out, not the hands slipping), yet
I see virtually every TV wooddorker violating that every single time
they joint.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net