Ken Grunke

Barry N. Turner wrote:
A friend of mine barely escaped a very serious injury yesterday while using
a chainsaw. He's not a woodturner or a logger, just an average guy (a
pharmacist) clearing some ice storm damaged tree limbs on his farm. He got
a kickback and severed a minor artery in his lower leg.

I'm wondering how this actually happened--kickbacks generally kick the
saw blade UPwards. Did he have his leg above where he was cutting?

Or cutting with the top of the blade? Not a good idea, but I do it
occasionally (like yesterday).

Let's be extra careful using chainsaws. Look into shin guards or chaps,
learn how to use your saw properly and observe all safety rules.

Keep your feet and legs as far from the cut as possible. Always have a
buddy with you, and watch out for him/her also.
I'm glad your friend wasn't hurt worse!

Ken Grunke

--
take da "ma" offa dot com fer eemayl